Coconut water, found inside immature coconuts is a clear liquid. The water is replaced by coconut meat as the coconut matures. Coconut water is referred to as green coconut water because the immature coconuts are green in colour.
Coconut water is different from coconut milk that is formed by the emulsion of the grated white meat of a mature coconut.
Coconut water is typically used as a regular beverage and a solution to treat dehydration related to diarrhoea or excessive exercise. It is also suggested to treat high blood pressure and an energy drink to improve exercise performance.
Calories 19 cal
Serving size = 100 ml
Total fat 0.2 g
Saturated fat 0.2 g
Sodium 105 mg
Potassium 250 mg
Total carbohydrates 3.7 g
Dietary fibres 1.1. g
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 0.7 g
Coconut water is rich in carbohydrates and electrolytes, including potassium, sodium, and magnesium. These electrolyte compositions make the coconut water suitable to treat and prevent dehydration. But there is a debate going on about the adequacy of the electrolyte composition in coconut water to be used as a rehydration solution.
As a cure to Diarrhea-related dehydration
According to findings consuming coconut water can help to prevent dehydration in children suffering from mild diarrhoea. But there is a lack of adequate evidence that its effectivity against other beverages used for the same purpose.
It helps to eliminate the dehydration caused by exercise and improve performance.
Athletes drink coconut water as a replacement fluid after exercise. Coconut water helps rehydrate the body after training, but it gives the same result as sports drinks or plain water. Some athletes are used to drink coconut water before exercise to prevent dehydration during and after the workout. Some athletes also use coconut water before the activity to improve endurance and performance.
A remedy for high blood pressure
Some research articles have suggested the effect of coconut water on people with high blood pressure.Coconut water, when consumed as a drink is safe for most people. It rarely causes fullness or a bad stomach for specific individuals. But in large amounts, coconut water might increase the potassium levels in the blood that might lead to kidney troubles and irregular heartbeat.
Coconut water is POSSIBLY SAFE for children as it comes from a natural source and contains no artificial additives or preservatives.
Special Precautions & Warnings
Pregnancy and Breast-Feeding Not enough evidence about the use of coconut water during pregnancy and breast-feeding. But most of the Asian woman consume king coconut water daily during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
Cystic Fibrosis Cystic fibrosis is a health condition that lowers the salt levels in the body. Thus, people with cystic fibrosis need to take fluids or pills to increase salt levels, such as sodium. Coconut water is not an excellent source to serve the above purpose as it contains a lower amount of sodium and too much potassium. Also, it is not suitable for people with high levels of potassium in their blood.
How to extract coconut water form a coconut
1. Buy a good looking dehusked coconut brown and nutty in colour and shape.
2. Find the three eyes of the coconut.
3. Use a screwdriver to make holes in the three eyes
4. Turn the coconut upside down into a container and collect the liquid that comes out from the holes made in the eyes.
5. Crack open the coconut by wagging a hammer if to take out the coconut meat.
You can also buy it from the local markets.
Local markets sell imported and locally manufactured coconut water bottles with lower price. But most of them contain additives such as flavours and preservatives.
In the ready to drink liquid section, you can find organic coconut water, flavoured coconut water, including passion, citrus, pineapple, grapefruit, and many more.
Coconut water can also be found as a carbonated beverage known as sparkling coconut water which comes with many flavours as the same as the regular coconut water.
The advantage of the two options is that the fresh coconut gives more volume of coconut water for a lower price compared to the bottled ones and contain no artificial additives. And if the coconut is cultivated using organic practices, the water extracted from them will be one hundred % natural.
Table of Contents
Sparkling Coconut Water
Why sparkling coconut water is popular
• The bubbles come with a balanced blend of sparkling water, and nutritious coconut water helps to provide a replenish and relaxed feeling. The bursting with bubbles and fruit flavour in certain brands are quite attractive and tasty than regular coconut water.
• It contains NO ADDED SUGAR and LOW CALORIE – Made with the goodness of naturally occurring electrolytes in coconut water to help replenish and recharge the body in an instant without any added sugar but only with approximately 25 calories, which makes it a smart alternative to juice, water, soda, and seltzer for weight watchers.
• GIVE YOUR meal A TASTY BOOST - Sparkling coconut water is perfect when served over ice or straight from the can, when your taste buds require a tropical vacation.
• THE PERFECT COCKTAIL MIXER – Sparkling coconut water is perfect for cocktail recipes, as it is free of added sugar.
• Coco Mule recipe: 1.5 ounces of vodka, 1/2 a can of Sparkling coconut water, 1 ounce of simple syrup, one candied ginger as a garnish, one tablespoon of citrus, one tablespoon of ginger juice* (can be substituted with sparkling coconut water flavoured with citrus and ginger) and one large ice cube.
Coconut water is a natural and colourless liquid that contains low calories and natural electrolytes which helps to replenish and relax the body. It also contains minerals, especially sodium and potassium. Provide health benefits to athletes, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, and people with high blood pressure. Coconut water can be extracted out from fresh coconuts. They are also sold in local markets as a ready to drink beverage. Modern days coconut water is sold with added flavours and bursting bubbles. Coconut water can be used in culinary practices, as a regular beverage and a cocktail mixture. The most important thing about coconut water is that it contains no added sugars.