Preparation Time - 30 mins
Cooking Time - 30 mins
Total Time - 1 hr
Shrimps and pasta with mozzarella cheese alfredo sauce is a delicious dish made with sun-dried tomatoes, basil, red pepper flakes, paprika(optional), and cream.
Course: Main Course (suitable for both dinner and lunch)
Cuisine: American, Italian
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 632 kcal
Table of Contents
• 2 cups of penne pasta ( or gluten-free brown rice pasta)
• Two tablespoons olive oil
• 200g of shrimp (peeled and deveined)
• Three garlic cloves minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes (without oil)
• Four garlic cloves minced
• 11/2 cup of heavy cream
• 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded (pre-shredded)
• One tablespoon dried basil
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 1/8 teaspoon paprika (optional)
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Two teaspoons lemon juice
How to cook pasta
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and wash the pasta with cold water to prevent further cooking.
How to cook shrimp
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet using medium-high heat.
2. Add minced garlic and sauté for a minute and then add shrimps. Cook the shrimp until it turns pink or golden brown on each side.
3. Add salt to taste.
4. Make sure not to crowd the shrimp in the skillet. Otherwise, moisture will form, and shrimp won't sear right.
5. Transfer the shrimp to a plate, being careful to leave all the oil in the skillet.
How to make creamy Mozzarella sauce
1. add sun-dried tomatoes and minced garlic to the same skillet.
2. Saute sun-dried tomatoes in the remaining oil from shrimp on medium heat until the garlic is fragrant.
3. Add the heavy cream to the hot skillet with sun-dried tomatoes and bring to boil.
4. Add shredded cheese to the skillet and start stirring.
5. Continue stirring until all the cheese melts to form a creamy sauce.
6. Add basil, crushed red pepper flakes, paprika. Stir.
7. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt gradually, stirring on low heat and tasting.
How to assemble shrimp pasta
1. Add cooked pasta to the sauce, and reheat gently on medium heat.
2. Add the cooked shrimp, and stir until properly mixed.
3. Taste, and season with more salt, if needed.
4. Let everything simmer on low heat for a couple of minutes for flavors to combine well.
5. Add lemon juice before serving (only if necessary).
This shrimp pasta will explain a very easy 4 step recipe, which makes it a perfect choice for a weeknight dinner.
Substitute For Heavy Cream
If a light sauce is required, ½ cup of heavy cream can be diluted with ½ cup of fresh milk
Care for leftovers
The leftovers can be stored in an airtight container and can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
• Reheating can be done by adding a small amount of milk or chicken broth, or water to the shrimp paste and boiling it over medium heat until the sauce starts to bubble.
• Make sure to keep the heat medium or low unless the cream will separate with high heat.
Tips and Tricks
• Use sun-dried tomatoes after removing the oil.
• Be careful not to overcook the shrimp.
It's really easy to overcook the shrimp and to make it tough and rubbery, and not so tasty. Having all the ingredients ready to go will solve the issue and won’t give a chance for shrimp to sit around and cook in its juices.
• Short pasta (penne) allows the sauce to coat every single bite and makes the dish extra delicious.
• Salt should be added up to bring out the flavors of sundried tomatoes and basil. Over seasoning may result in an unusual taste in the dish.
Why This Recipe Works
. However, even if you overcook the shrimp, you won’t notice it, as the shrimp will be coated in a delicious creamy sauce that keeps the shrimp moist and tender.
Good luck with your next dinner or lunch with our tasty pasta recipe.