- 200g self-raising flour or cake flour
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 55g margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 240ml hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350FGas
- Grease and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the flour, sugar, ginger and baking powder in a bowl.
- rub the margarine into the mixture, using your fingers in until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the beaten egg, syrup and hot water and mix well until finely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for 35–40 minutes.
- When fully baked the top should be golden brown and springy to touch.
- Let the cake cool down and cut into square shapes and serve with ginger tea for best taste.